Translate

Monday, December 9, 2019

catching the bus

Bus 2019: Destination: Rainbow Bridge

   When Angela woke up outside, she wasn't scared, just bewildered. She decided to look around; see if there were any interesting odors to sniff. She wouldn't go far, as she did not want Cecil to fret.
   Rick's bus had been leaving all year: he was dying of cancer. On the last day of November 2019, he got on and left town. As he boarded, he saw a dog across the road and asked the driver if it were okay for her to come along. "Sure thing, buddy: we're all going to the same place." This bus' destination was Rainbow Bridge.
   As Rick and Angela made their way down the aisle, he saw a familiar face. "Hey Mel, good to see ya again." "Howdy, Ricky Joe. Where'd ya get the dog?" "She was in a field across the road from where I got on. Weren't ya girl?" Angela woofed, "Yes; I figured it was alright to follow you. I'm pretty sure I won't be going back to Cecil's."
   Mel said, "There are people on here I don't know but my oldest daughter, Jo Ann, knew all of us. Did you know her, Angela?" "We never met but I heard of her: she wrote letters to my human."
   It was then Dad took it upon himself to play host, and show Rick and Angela around. The first guy they saw was Pat, a diabetic amputee, whom Jo Ann had met at the nursing home where she had gone for rehab. He had died on Halloween and Jo found out, early in December.
   Passing Carolyn, Dad explained, "I don't recall this woman but we sorta have a history: one of her daughters was married to one of my godsons. Frank died in her house." Both Rick and Angela were surprised. Others present were: Father Rick, a Byzantine priest who had gone to school with Jo Ann; Mary Jo, another schoolmate; Denny, an old fellow who used to have breakfast at Big Boy; Troy, a fellow who died in Virginia: during a trip south, Jo Ann had spent a night with him and his wife; Connie, the egg lady's mother; Hazel, who lived to be 108; Norma; and Dawn.
   "Norma was one of my wife's dearest friends," Mel said, leaning down to give the old woman a hug. Then he explained, "I remember Jo bringing Dawn and her son, Wolfie, over to the house. My wife told the boy, 'They call me "Wolfie" too because I like meat.' That made him smile and put him at ease. I sure will be glad to see Zulema again; it's been almost six years."
   At that point, the bus rounded a curve in the road and was no longer visible from Earth. A week after Rick's service, Bella, another old dog, caught the bus. The day after that, there was a memorial for Wynell, a 95 year old, whom Jo remembered lovingly from Methodist choir. She had died back in October but Jo didn't get the news, until it was mentioned in a Christmas card.
   Souls cross the bridge but memories linger in the hearts of those who remain earthbound.

No comments:

Post a Comment