Translate

Monday, April 29, 2019

Triduum ... and Beyond

My heart hasn't been into writing lately; until I get there, old posts will have to suffice.

Triduum ... and Beyond
4-7-12
   Redbuds are blooming and the temperature in many parts of the country is "unseasonably warm." I hope all of you share a pleasant day with loved ones. I know that not all of you share my views and I respect that. I am sharing my feelings about my beliefs with you because that is part of my faith, my friendship.
*
   Took time to go to Maundy Thursday services. For those wondering about the word *Maundy,* it comes from the Latin mandatum, meaning "commandment." Jesus gave his disciples the commandment to love one another. The dozen or so of us gathered to commemorate the Last Supper took the offered Sacrament, sang a hymn, said a prayer and received a blessing. The sanctuary lights were dimmed and, as the piano was played softly, the altar was stripped. A lot of memories flooded over me.
   One vivid memory is actually from a Palm Sunday, early 2000s, First United Methodist Church in Brady, Texas. As the choir began to sing the closing hymn, chosen members of the congregation began to strip the altar. Silently, they made their way down the aisle, bearing candles, paraments, altar cloth, Bible and other items associated with worship. It was a good thing we sang a known hymn because my eyes were filled with tears. I felt so bereft!
   Holy Thursday 1960, I made my First Holy Communion. I was in the last row of communicants. It was past my usual bedtime. I remember the girl next to my nudging my elbow and whispering, "Baugh, wake up." When I told her I had just been resting my eyes, she told me I'd been snoring.
Other memories are not necessarily associated with particular years but are part of my Triduum reminiscences; the washing of people's feet, the dimming of the sanctuary as candles were extinguished one by one, the mournful Via Dolorosa.
   I remember processions, both participated in and observed. The Host, reverently placed in the monstrance,  was lifted high and carried through the church as the Pange Lingua was chanted. At the end of the procession, it was placed on a side altar. At some churches, the faithful will keep watch, staying awake with Jesus.
   On Good Friday, many congregations gather for Stations of the Cross. During my eight years at St. Elizabeth School, on Fridays during Lent students were led in Stations of the Cross. Coming into the sanctuary at noon on Good Friday, the priest may chant, "Behold the wood of the Cross,on which is hung your salvation" three times, baring first one arm, then another and finally totally unveiling the crucifix. Deep in my soul is the sacred intimacy of Veneration of the Cross.
   Sometimes, a crucifix was placed on cushions and people knelt before it and kissed the feet of Jesus. In some churches a large cross may be held up for people to embrace.
Christ's Passion is read, with members of the congregation taking various roles. Some year I think I will volunteer for the role of Judas. It is not a popular choice. Still, have we not all been a betrayer at one time or another, to a greater or lesser degree?
   Good Friday 1997 I got word my paternal grandmother had died that morning. While I cried during the service, a friend asked what was wrong. Upon hearing, she told me, "Well, she's in good company."
I have known Good Friday to fall on April First. To me, that juxtaposition is supremely ironic.
   Holy Saturday, the third day of the Triduum (for those who may not have surmised, it means 'three days'), does not generally get a lot of attention. For many, it is the day to dye Easter eggs and make other preparations for secular observances. My memories of Holy Saturday include fire, symbolizing the light Jesus brings to the world, decorating the Paschal candle, the Litany of Saints and the baptism of new members of the Roman Catholic faith. The Paschal candle will be in the sanctuary from Easter through Ascension. It will also be lit and placed at the head of caskets during funerals.
   I enjoy finding similarities between different religious traditions. Thursday night, as we exited into the twilight, it felt like the church was sitting shiva. Friday, I reflected on the similarities between Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, and Rosh Hashanah, the beginning of the New Year.
Judaism has the New Year first, then observes a day of fasting later. These are observed/celebrated in the fall. Passover, which Jesus celebrated with his friends, coincides, generally speaking, with the observance of Easter.
   In the Christian tradition, we have Good Friday, a day of atonement, followed by a new year of sorts, Easter: a feast of resurrection and new life. Lent draws to a close, we find that once again, we have survived the emotional darkness of Good Friday. Faith is knowing even if it rains Sunday, the Son will indeed shine!
Alleluia, The Lord is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed, Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment