Translate

Friday, December 6, 2019

Celebrate weeds


  Much has been written about the "indomitable human spirit." When one contemplates some of the horrors which have beset humans: famines; wars; pogroms; authoritarian governments; one sees how they were withstood through human endeavors to "rise above." In the space of one month headlines included: a murdered journalist and subsequent attempts at cover-up; several pipe bombs, mailed to prominent critics of 45th U.S. president;  threats by that same president to have military personnel fire at immigrants who throw rocks; and eleven people slain in a place of worship, by an anti-Semite. People are in serious need of good news. I found some.

Dear One,

   Remember when I used to write letters all the time? Then I got caught up in social consciousness and started writing about "issues." Issues are important, of course, but so is personal communication. I love writing letters - so I am getting back into it. After one of the residents here passed away, her family had an estate sale, raising money to cover her final expenses. I purchased the bulk of her stationery and related supplies.
   Saturday morning, I woke to clear skies, after spending the night in a bed not my own. Breakfasted on a piece of panettone, a delightful Italian sourdough bread with golden raisins and bits of citrus peel. This was washed down with a cup of stout tea. Bidding farewell to my host and the dogs, I got in my car, to drive home. 
   Trees around here are showing autumn colors; some of which are absolutely brilliant. Several trees were ablaze in vibrant reds and yellows. It was such a beautiful day, it almost made me wish I had a dog to walk. My canine friend in the mid-west has not felt much like walking lately but I'm sure this day would have roused his enthusiasm.
   Arriving home, I changed clothes and went for a walk. Returning to my apartment, I wrote a letter, then perused social media. Checked in with a friend and we made dinner plans: pizza and beer. I spent some time making notes on subjects to be addressed in upcoming letters and whiled away an hour or so adding subtle shading to my supply of illustrated postcards.
   The notion of weeds came to me because the term is used disparagingly for most part, if not exclusively. I like "weeds," seeing them as underappreciated flowers. That's kind of how it is with some people: they get called names and suffer other taunts and indignities because society doesn't know what to do with them.
   Retirement gives me an appreciation of life's slower moments and I find a vast richness in the mundane. Not everyone is so blessed as I, but a lot of people just don't know how to find joy. If it is within my power, and if a willing pupil should come along, I will try to share what I have learned. I am also a student, willing to learn from others.
   I'm sure I have rambled somewhat but hope you know, this letter was written with love. Maybe it has given you some thought to mull over. Even if it just provided a small diversion, it was worth the effort.

May peace and contentment be afforded you, 
Jo Ann

1 comment: