Translate

Saturday, May 4, 2019

El quatro de mayo

In 2012, I was still a member of the labor force, working as a caregiver. At that time, I still wanted to go back to Texas but the ache to do so was diminishing. My home is here in Michigan; here I will likely remain. I have combined old entries to produce this new one.
***
4 May, 2012
   Decided to go down to Lenawee County, pretty much on the spur of the moment. Headed down U.S. 23, since I could drive 70 mph and have fewer turns. Arrived in Dundee by 2:15, so stopped at the dialysis center and got Mom. Sister gave me money to take her to Wendy's, before bringing her home. On our drive to Tecumseh, Mom asked if I wanted a fry, which she fed me as I drove. I think a momma bird always enjoys nurturing one of her chicks. It fulfills their purpose, validates them. I suppose I am being silly, but so what? Not enough people know the joy of silliness, so I try to remind them.
   Got Mom home. She finished her meal, then took a nap. I went to see my friend Doug and we spent a goodly portion of the afternoon trimming up his little dog. I will probably go down every weekend this month. How can one little dog have that many snarls?
   Prior to that, however, I looked up the address of a high school classmate. She lives practically right around the corner from Doug. So we went over and I walked up to the yard sale going on. I spotted Debbie immediately and she knew me as soon as I spoke her name. Amazing how fast 40 years can just melt away!
   Did a bit of running around, stopping at the post office to buy some 'postage to Europe' stamps for when I write to my friend in the Netherlands.
   At six o'clock, I started back to Ypsi. The eastern sky was nearly black with clouds, but smeared across a portion was an arc of rainbow. I reflected there is much beauty and joy to be found in everyday life if one is willing to see it.
Hope there are rainbows among the dark clouds of your life.

(2 May, 2019)
   These past seven years, I don't have any particularly spectacular recollections of "el quatro de mayo," although two days prior to above entry, I wrote this:

A night at the opera
2 May, 2012
   Cultural opportunities abound in the greater Ann Arbor area. This past spring, friends and I attended Opera on Tap at Frenchie's in Depot Town, Ypsilanti, Michigan.
   Since it was held May First, the evening's theme, quite understandably, was May Day. Think SOS though, as in m'aidez.
   First was "Granada," performed by Ko Kaiden, wearing "Brunhilde" horns. My friend Gabby said, "That's Ricky Ricardo's signature tune!"
   Next was Verdi's "Pace, pace mio Dio." If I understood Leslie Smith over the crowd, the story is about a man who kills an older man in the opening scene. Turns out the dead guy is the father of the girl in love with with our fugitive, now hiding out at a monastery. She plaintively sings for 'peace, peace, my God.' [Opera seems to have something in common with Greek tragedy.]
   Sonja Srinivasan gave us Dvorak's "Song to the Moon," a tale of hopeless love: a water nymph for a human. Sarah Flammer's rendering of "Your Daddy's Son" from Ragtime was full of pathos.
   "The Way You Look Tonight," Best Song of 1936, from Jerome Kern's Swing Time was done justice by Leslie's powerful voice.
   Liyan Sun closed the first set with "Fly Home Little Heart," the story of a young man gone to war and the lover who waits at home.

   The second set opened with Strauss' "The Presentation of the Rose." Called upon to deliver a gentleman's token of affection to a young lady, the delivery boy find's himself falling in love with said young lady. She return's his feeling. Complications: 'aidez moi.'
   "Losing My Mind" is something to which anyone in a situation of unrequited love can relate. The poignant "What Good Would the Moon be?" is a question asked countless times by someone who has it all - except for the person they love.
   The evening's last song was "For Good" from Wicked. We've all known someone who, for better or worse, has unmistakably changed our lives for good, that is to say, forever.
Although this was my first encounter with Opera on Tap, it most assuredly will not be my last. The events are scheduled for the first Tuesday of every month. To book your reservations for Opera On Tap: call 734-483-5230.
We must cherish the cultural opportunities that exist, making them available to everyone. Which means we MUST keep PBS!
[NOTE: Opera on Tap is still an active concern in Washtenaw County; regrettably, I have not been back since summer 2014.]
***
   This is probably as good a time as any to explain the title given to this piece. Back when I lived in Brady, I remember some radio promotion of Cinco de Mayo. The Anglo announcer uttered some gibberish about "el cinco de quatro." I called the station and said that didn't even make sense, explaining the fourth day of May would be [called] "el quatro de mayo." My explanation was recorded and played later.

4 May, 2019
   This morning, I had breakfast with two neighbors; we combined our repast with a study we are doing. On our way home, we passed a yard filled with tulips and daffodils. I noted the number on the house next door and when I got back to my apartment, addressed a postcard, to Occupant of Pink House, at number I surmised to be their address, and mailed it off.
   Tonight, after a supper of leftovers with a friend, I plan to go to Flying Otter winery for the music event to be held there. It is a chance to expand cultural and societal horizons and is bound to be cheaper than Match.com.
   Spring is making its presence felt in Michigan; some people are even starting to walk around barefoot. That's about all the news to report, at the moment.

Godspeed and May the Fourth be with you.

2 comments:

  1. Your blogs make a wonderful difference in my life. Please keep the old and new coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It's a nice break from "the world" to travel along in your day.

    ReplyDelete