Translate

Friday, June 7, 2019

Dueling proboscis

7 June, 2019
Hello my dear,
   While driving toward trail where I take my morning hike, a mosquito came into my field of vision. Wasn't sure my swat was effective until a glance at my T-shirt revealed, not a booger but the corpus delecti of my would-be assailant. Guess I showed that little bloodsucker. Upon arrival at my destination, noticed a couple other vehicles in the car park. I exited my conveyance, unloaded my walker, and set off along the trail. Occupants of other vehicles met and one asked the other, "Why have you got the truck?" The reply involved a spouse getting an oil change and some minor grousing about the inconvenience of not being able to drive one's own automobile. I made a comment of thanks for pointing out an upside to single life: not having to drive someone else's car. Speaker added, "I bet you didn't have to get somebody's dirty underwear off the bed, either. Stick with me; I'll give you a whole list of advantages." Since I figure I'm doomed to "life in solitary," I'm always looking for levity in the situation.
   Proceeding in a southwesterly direction, my goal was to traverse the distance between Green and Occidental Highways, on part of a bike trail in Lenawee County, Michigan. Though unsure of the distance walked, it was accomplished in about fifty minutes: this included time to phone and check a sibling's location; swat at a few mosquitoes; see a baby bunny; and notice a toad. There was also a fellow of indeterminate age that I would have mistaken for the elder of my two brothers but the dog with him was not a schnoodle, and besides, the color was wrong.
   Around nine o'clock, I made it back to the car and went about the day's other activities. High on my list of priorities was changing socks and shoes. Then, laundry and pick up produce from the vegie truck. Early in the afternoon, I indulged in a bit of "self-medication" - which, anymore, consists of red wine and dark chocolate.
   This evening, there was a community potluck, at which I ate my fill, without overindulging. I managed to talk myself out of a meat sale at Busch's, telling myself I would be healthier if I reduced the amount of animal flesh in my diet. Whether that is actually true or not, I do believe it is inarguable that eating more plant-based food is in my best interests.
   Just came indoors a few minutes ago, before the mosquitoes got thick enough to be a hazard. My invited guest has made her way home and leftovers are stored in the fridge. May have a cup of tea, prior to retiring for the night. On weekend agenda: lunch with a friend; taking delivery of three dozen eggs; updating the travel bag kept in the car; wash dishes (definitely low priority); visit the old homestead and inhabitants thereof; make a significant dent in the correspondence demanding reply.
   And now, as Fagin's troupe of orphan's sang in Oliver! -"So long, fare thee well; pip-pip, cheery-oh," (be back soon)

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment