Translate

Monday, June 10, 2019

Of diamonds and dragons

10 June, 2019
I knew I had written a piece several years ago, which was again seasonally relevant. Searching my archives, I found it.
*****
6/6/2012
   By the time this posts, my sixtieth birthday will have come and gone. It has been my good fortune never to have dreaded my age. I think I never shall - I enjoy life and it's all good. The first thing that marked start of June was schlepping rent check over to the office, then putting new tags on my car. Gotta stay legal. Saturday night, I went out and sang karaoke. It was the first time in a couple years I'd been to a karaoke joint and I had fun.
   Sunday, 3 June, after church, I went down to visit Mom and Dad. Had a nice little visit and shared a brownie as sort of a birthday celebration. That night, there was an email from my Argentine correspondent, asking that I please post all blog entries on one site, to avoid confusion. I readily acceded to his request, as it had seemed somewhat ill contrived anyway.
   After work Monday, stopped at St. Joe's Hospital and got lab work done. Tech asked if I had an arm preference for her to draw blood. Kind of wished I was an octopus. She did wish me happy birthday. Got home and changed clothes. Dropped off water payment and saw Antonio, one of the maintenance crew. He said he was just admiring the clouds, and commented that not enough people take time to appreciate the beauty around them. Definitely agreed with him on that point. He has a poet's soul.
   Then went shopping for a new blouse - my roomie's birthday present to me. Made out great: three pretty T-shirts and a pair of denim capris. Then we had lunch at Applebee's. Came home and received calls from my two out-of-state sisters. Then had to put phone back on charger - between the two of them, must have talked about three hours. Laughter and tears: they season one's life.
   One has to admire a classy dame like Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Not wanting to tromp on my birthday, her Diamond Jubilee was scheduled for 5 June. Oh, you and I both realize I didn't even enter the equation, but I hope it brought you a smile.
   I got to thinking, if the Queen were 84, instead of 86, she would be a Dragon, like myself. Then I realized she's the same age as Dad and is, therefore, a Tiger. Quite auspicious, I believe, as Her Majesty is guarded by two powerful totems. Born in Year of the Tiger and crowned in Year of the Dragon.
   Thanks to my Facebook friends, I received greetings from around the world. I felt nearly as celebrated as the Queen. I wouldn't trade my life for anyone else's, because I would miss all of you.
   Missed Full Moon - I would at least have howled. Hope Goddess of Night sky did not feel slighted. Saw Moon in afternoon sky as it started to wane.
   Tuesday night's agenda was Opera on Tap at Frenchie's in Depot Town in Ypsi (Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County, Michigan). Theme was "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." Good music and good food. How sweet is that? Had hoped to be joined by friends, but had a burger, a beer and a very good time. If only I were famous, I could have had my meal comped. Events of this nature will head the list of things I will miss when I move. Meanwhile, I shall enjoy them to the fullest.
  The very recognizable "Habanera," from Bizet's Carmen was the second number in the first set. The second set was sung primarily in English. Included were: "So In Love" - from Cole Porter's Kiss Me, Kate; "Embraceable You" - Gershwin's Girl Crazy and "If You Go Away" - Jacques Brel.
   Admittedly, I had difficulty making the connection to the evening's theme, but that may have been because I couldn't hear the introduction.Nevertheless, I passed an enjoyable evening. Maybe a number from Damn Yankees would have tied it together. Next show is scheduled for 3 July, the theme is Dog Days of Summer.
   The Dragon presides over the remainder of the year and Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee has been noted for posterity. Every day is cause for celebration.
________________

This year, eve of my birthday marked the New Moon. I am not your typical anglophile, but I sincerely wish Her Majesty continued good health. God save the Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment