Translate

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Mid-late June 2015

(20 June, 2019)
   These days, I am editing and combining old blogs; hope you will enjoy these reruns. I have always thought of letters as time-travel devices; written in the here-and-now, read in the whenever.
   At lunch today, toasted Summer Solstice with one of my dear comrades; we laughed and sang without need to make apology for our noise lever or other expressions of conviviality.
*****

21 June, 2015
   Summer solstice has arrived. Here in my little corner of Universe, skies are overcast and parking lots with puddles give mute evidence of rainfall while I slumbered. In any given moment, my mind races, as well as toils slow-motion, through the ghastly events which took place in Charleston, South Carolina, evening of  17 June, 2015. On off chance you may be unaware: nine people were murdered in cold blood, inside Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal church. Of course I have opinions, but so does anyone else who is aware of the event. Much of the world caught its collective breath, when hate and fear terminated the lives of nine individuals in a place of worship. The Boeskool, one of the blogs I follow, has published several items in last few days. This likely is an attempt to diffuse the horror enough to survive - because one must, you know. Even though nine lives have been brutally snuffed out, and the lives of those who knew and interacted with them have been forever disrupted, Life Goes On. I do not say that casually or carelessly, but just as Universe, after a time, regained a semblance of equilibrium following the Influenza Epidemic of the Nineteen-Teens, Holocaust, First and Second World Wars, Tienemen Square, and other cataclysmic events, so too will we [eventually] recover from this horror.
   Some allege this incident occurred because "family values" have broken down and will vehemently deny racial tensions or [lack of] gun control had any part. I started this piece a day or two ago and it is time to finish. I hope it will make sense when sent to you.
   *
   Today's Gospel reading came from fourth chapter of Mark, relating the story of a storm which arose while Jesus slept in a boat. God love the disciples: they were awake and terrified, so why should Jesus get to sleep through the storm? Celebrant commented on those who wonder "Where was God?" in the Charleston Massacre, saying God was where God always IS - everywhere. His Grace further remarked on a tendency to deny evil, so as not to give it too much power, but it must be recognized to be combated.
*
  Visited Dad on Saturday, as I had out-of-town events to attend on Fathers Day. Drove to St. Luke Episcopal Church in Ypsilanti, Michigan, to witness/celebrate baptism of nine children. Also enjoyed visiting several friends, not seen since I moved a year ago.
   After church, went to Corner Brewing Company for brunch and Halcyon Sundaze event. I pulled my little notebook from my purse, and was surprised by number of pages used. Perhaps should not have been, since it was purchased four years ago and it has accompanied me to several places, including South Carolina. I made up my mind to enjoy my day, starting with a hearty meal. Ordered a "Proper English Breakfast" and chose Jackhammer, an English Old Ale, to wash it down.
    After eating, went out to Beer Garden, to listen to music, and saw friends - parents of one of those, newly baptized. Spent a couple hours in their delightful company. Then, they wended their way home, to put sleepy toddlers down for a nap, while I came home to play cards. Had debated about stopping at Mediterranean Market, to purchase foods not available at local [Tecumseh] grocer. I love my little town but it is just so white bread.
   Chided myself for thinking county folk provincial, just because there is not sufficient demand for more exotic foodstuffs. If I hope to see tolerance in others, it must first be fostered in my own heart. Forgive wrongs done; seek healing, not retribution. Not easy, but necessary. This too, shall pass. God willing, it will not pass this way again, but it will take our cooperation.
   It is late. May you know peace.
25 June, 2015
Guten Tag, mein Freund.
   It has been an exquisite day. But of course, all days are - if you approach them in the right frame of mind. Tecumseh Senior Center was supposed to have Catch and Release fishing and Kim, center director, had bought worms and everything. It rained and everybody chose to stay inside. So they set up Wii bowling. Realizing there are 'Plan B' options is what "going with the flow" is all about.
   This morning, got to see a fawn from our urban herd; I am blessed to live in a first floor apartment, with a living room window facing a small wooded area. Makes up for noisy, early-rising, - I'm talking four and five o'clock of a morning - upstairs neighbor. [Have become so adept at seeking/finding silver linings, should make Holy Grail my next quest.]
   After lunch, Connie and I went to see former tenant, who now resides in nursing home. She is ready to leave Earth and it will not be too long, since she has not taken nourishment in several days. She was unresponsive when we greeted her, but we opted to stay and keep vigil for a while. Granddaughter came and we had a pleasant visit, also exchanging addresses, to keep in touch. Before we left, I sang a hymn. Not surprisingly, the old lady mouthed the words. It's like Sheldon once observed, "The holy stuff stays with them." I count it a blessing to have been part of this sacred moment. Hugged her frail body, kissed her withered cheek, told her I love her. Only met her when I moved here a year ago, but we played cards together, laughed together.
   As soon as I finish this, need to brush my teeth, put on fresh lipstick and head to Community Room, to call Bingo. Will update rest of our card group on our friend's status.
   Tomorrow, will go to Tecumseh Senior Center, play Wii bowling after lunch - gotta practice for tournament with visiting center - pick up eggs from brother ... you know, "the usual."
   Have received word a missive is headed this way from Great Midwest, but have not heard from "Sister" in Texas since a postcard arrived telling me of an automobile accident, in which she sustained minor injuries. At least she was not at fault. Had best wind this up; natives might get restless if Bingo is delayed.
***
p.s. It is still plenty wet: when the year was only 167 days old, 113 of them had had some kind of precipitation; there will apparently be more work done on parking lot of apartment complex; and tonight is bingo. (Some things never change.)

No comments:

Post a Comment