Translate

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Letters from June 2016


June 2019
   I have collected June entries from 2016 and edited them into a continuous letter, leaving intact their initial titles but, for most part, dispensing with daily salutations.
jbd
*****
Conundrum 
1 June
'Morning love,
   It has been a long five days and this probably is not the best time to be writing a letter because I am in kind of a pissy mood, but I just don't really care. Unfortunately, that means I am venting at your expense and you didn't even do anything. Much of my attitude stems from the long hike necessitated by parking lot re-paving. Add a few nights away from home and a couple uncooperative neighbors, and things can turn ugly.
   I usually avoid news broadcasts, finding them depressing. Heard one while in my car and didn't have time to change it right then, so I caught this hubbub about a child who got in with some gorilla and the gorilla ended up being killed, to prevent said child from being injured. Jack Hanna, well-known in wildlife circles, offered his opinion, saying tranquilizing the animal was too risky: it might not have acted fast enough to spare the child serious injury/death. Radio guy put in his two cents, that human life always supersedes animal life. Tell that to the family of a slave who was whipped to death for accidentally spooking a prize horse who ended up lame. Hell's bells, if human life is so sacred, why are we killing each other through neglect, abuse, and war? Okay, so it was not a fortuitous situation but why did anybody have to die, much less a member of an endangered species? So one of the parties had 46 chromosomes. So what? Why not choose an option that provided both victims a chance at survival?
   I'm sure there will be those who ask, "What if it were your child/grandchild?" One must evaluate each situation case by case: How and why did it happen; who was at fault? This instance cannot be undone but one would hope it is not repeated anytime soon.
   Alright, that's out of my system. I got to visit a friend not seen for months and saw considerable progress on parking lot. Did ask manager, "Can I just stay home til it's done?" Have a haircut scheduled for Friday, so guess not. Had impromptu supper with friends, with another set for tomorrow. Who knows? Maybe by Friday, we will at least be able to bring our cars back on the lot for weekend. One hopes for best; then reality has to go and rear its ugly head and one makes best of whatever hand one is dealt. Guess I'm ready to pack it in and call it a night. As Scarlett O'Hara said, "After all, tomorrow is another day."

Pancakes with a side of gospel
4 June
   Went out with my "breakfast beau," as I frequently do on weekends. Today the 'cost' of our meal was a donation to local fire department - a winning proposition all around. So we are minding our own business - eating our food, making small talk with tablemates - when one couple gets up to leave. Apparently not content with usual goodbyes, this fellow feels the need to ask if we go to church. Not in the mood to be preached at, I said I was planning to attend local Methodist church but was otherwise affiliated (Episcopalian).
   Now, I guess I admire those who take seriously the admonition to "go forth and make disciples of all men" (Gospel according to Matthew, Chapter 28, Verse 19) but I am more inclined to the *silent* approach of teaching by example. Granted, there are worse things to discuss over breakfast,  but I am quite capable of deciding when or if I want to attend a prayer meeting, thank you very much. As I say, this guy seemed basically harmless but it would appear he's a frustrated televangelist wannabe. Anyway, told my companion I might write up our encounter, just for fun.
   Decided to do laundry upon return to apartments; now have clothes in dryer. Afternoon agenda includes taking a friend to see about getting a tattoo. What can I tell ya? Girls just wanna have fun.
Catch ya later; am off for day of *carousing.*

Circles, squiggles & doodles
6-6
   This is a story from the ... oh I don't know ... I guess from the "six degrees of separation" file. Over four decades ago, two siblings pursued higher education in a town several hundred miles distant from their family dwelling. Not everyone is geared to academic life; sometimes one may find oneself on an unfamiliar coast, amid a culture to which one is unaccustomed. But one does not forget everything from one's youth and life has cyclical patterns which can weave strange magic.
   The siblings are now well past the half-century mark, reasonably comfortable and fairly "secure" - whatever that means. A third party is now common to both their circles. The *Twilight Zone* factor is, this third party may have been previously known to nonacademic sibling. But there's more: through social media, college graduate sibling has become reacquainted with old-time comrades. It is through these connections, circles have come to overlap and others, once thought irreparably broken, may again become whole.
   You may be thinking you need a scorecard to know who's who in this little drama, but the names don't really matter. While *happy endings* are never guaranteed and may not even be the point, just bringing the players onto the same stage, improves the odds. Or so it seems to me.
   For myself, need to contact Tecumseh Center for the Arts about this summer's Black Box Series. A call has gone out for "past, present, and future" Tecumseh Players to participate in a segment of the series. This may provide opportunity for my last hurrah as a thespian.
   My illustrated letter project is coming along nicely and I find myself trying to build a tidy little stockpile of pages, against the day when arthritis may render me unable to draw. A realistic point of view can be such a bother.
   I suppose I should scribe actual pen-and-paper letters to a few folks. Actually, a couple are well on their way hither and yon; one to Miami, Florida, another to a community along the shore of Lake Michigan.
   Guess I shall finish out the day with a glass of wine and a good book. Tonight's forecast is for good sleeping weather in my immediate vicinity. Hope you have a pleasant evening.

It happens to everyone
9 June
   I struggled to talk myself out of bed this morning. In fact, had I not wanted to write this, I might still be there. Sometimes there just does not seem to be any point. Ya know? This sense of futility is not new and everyone has that unnameable "blah" feeling from time to time. Eventually I got up, dressed, fixed a bowl of oatmeal and sat down to get my thoughts 'on paper,' so to speak.
   I am fortunate: some people face this dilemma daily; for me it is an infrequent occurrence. I do not know what month has been designated Mental Health Awareness Month, but since so many individuals have so many issues in varying degrees of severity, does it not behoove us [as a whole] to be vigilant?
   I do believe great strides have been made to not stigmatize individuals and bring the issue into the open instead of hiding it. People should not be criminalized for having  faulty wiring. Fear of the unknown creates problems, therefor knowledge benefits us all. To battle an enemy one must  know one's adversary. So it does no good to pretend *otherness* does not exist: ignorance is not bliss, it's just ignorance.
   Whole treatises have been devoted to the concepts of mental health and mental illness. I'm not feeling wordy enough to pose a long-winded harangue. I am not a psychologist, psychiatrist, or even a talk show personality. I have no credentials, just compassion. Pretty sure latter is more important.
   Will not close with "Have a nice day:" some days simply are not nice. That's just the way of life. But if one gets through a day, no matter how disappointing or even downright ugly, one has hope of a better tomorrow. Look at it this way: if you, your family, your boss and co-workers are alive at the end of the day, you must be doing something right. If not, seek anger management.
   Are we good? Are you okay? Alright, see you here another time.

Amble & ramble
11 June
   This morning I woke to the voice of Sweet Baby James, but it was only in my mind. It was not even six o'clock. Anyway, I imagined myself ocean-side, on a balcony or porch. Gulls circled, dipped, and screeched as I sipped coffee and reminisced, occasionally jotting a line in my letter to you. I may never live in the Carolinas but I think it will always be home to my soul. Do you have such a place? I believe everyone should.
   By seven o'clock, the air was already sultry. Awake, showered and dressed, I turned on the living room fan and it has been running, since. Went to breakfast, careful to take a long-sleeved shirt to don in the restaurant. Afterward, took recyclables to township facility. Auto made thirsty noises, so added petrol. Not even noon; arrived home and parked myself in front of the fan to read and periodically doze.
   Lethargic due to heat and humidity. There are letters to write, so I had best make some cold tea and get to it. Needless to say, I am moving at something less than speed of light. Oh well, it will keep. Just like laundry, it will be there til it gets done.
   Meanwhile, shall take another side trip to Carolina, maybe visit J on her porch in early morning hours, wrapped in a quilt, should air have a chill. Down to horse barn with Brother, to converse with Garbanzo, Mary, and Blind Pony. Sun clears horizon, dispelling lingering predawn darkness. Birds sound their notes and I am reminded it is time to decorate more letter paper with their images, as my humble skills allow.
   Alas, I really must put on footwear and make my way to laundry room for water. As if you cannot tell, I have a big old case of the don'ts. They have been known to be contagious and are frequently weather-related. Alright: shall dash this off and get to those things I have been putting off. Think kindly of me, as I shall think of you. 
à bientôt

Party of the first part
12 June 
   Gosh this has been a long day! Forgive me for neglecting basic amenities, but I am pooped. As if this weren't enough, it would appear I have finally gone and done it. Not long ago, I mailed out a couple letters; the response has been the proverbial *deafening silence.* I am left to conclude that Letter A was inadvertently sent to Person B and vice versa. It is the only explanation I have for this prolonged lack of communication.
   The situation is potentially embarrassing but I should think only to me, as the other two people not only never heard of each other, but have almost zero possibility of ever meeting. Future encounters may be initially awkward, yet I believe we will all manage to get through intact. Guess I keep coming back to the bottomest of bottom lines: we're still alive, reasonably healthy, and more-or-less safe. That's a lot.
   Parking lot is supposed to be finished this week. It will be good to have driveway flush with sidewalk again. Hopefully lines will also be in place soon, so folks will not be so prone to place vehicles inappropriately.
   Laundry is done and put away. Have noshed on rotisserie chicken, tabouleh, and garlic sauce and imbibed peach-flavored ice tea. It is important to be mindful of, and grateful for, simple pleasures.
   On this week's to-do list: write Fathers Day letter, have root beer float at Tecumseh Senior Center on Wednesday, get groceries, attend Social Club, take R to get memorial tattoo, and attend Third Saturday. Retirement has been good for my social life.
   It's an indulgence and not a necessity, but there may be a bowl of ice cream with chocolate sauce in my immediately foreseeable future. Will let it go at that.

neighbors and friends
17 June
   It has been a long day, a long week and, given the parking lot project here at the apartments, a long month. (Actually, five weeks but who's counting?) On top of all that, we (I) had the "misdirected missive" snafu which prompted entry dated 12 June. I have taken steps to work things out with one of the recipients. Kind of in limbo with the other. Checking Facebook several hours ago, noticed comments on my *Hoover Queen* post. Questions arose about what kind of life this individual must have. The sad truth is, not much of one.
   HQ is an asexual octogenarian who lives a highly regimented lifestyle, likely bordering on, if not outright defining, obsessive/compulsive disorder. This is an individual who vacuums her apartment every Thursday morning, for ten minutes, beginning at 8:30 and does laundry every Monday, starting at eight o'clock, when laundry room opens. Yes, she has a favorite machine and if someone beats her to it, she pouts, but life goes on.
   A few years ago, she had a fender-bender involving one of the driveway lights and chose to give up her car. A few of her age-contemporary neighbors drove her to appointments or to conduct her errands such as shopping or banking. As their own abilities declined, they tried to line up replacement help, but no one else was willing to be subject to her demands. Quite reasonably, when one is doing another party a favor, one expects to call the shots regarding time and order; not driving hither and yon at whim of favor's recipient.
   Don't get me wrong: HQ is far from being the worst neighbor in the place, and at least I am inclined to be an early riser. However, I must strive to think kindly thoughts when the recliner in which she sleeps whomps down any time after 4:30 A.M. She begins pacing halls before six o'clock and has appointed herself designated door opener.
   People talk to me; their stories may end up in one of my letters, but their anonymity is protected. HQ had, to say the least, a challenging childhood: her mother died early and the stepmother was demanding, even harsh. This was era of The Great Depression and things were tough all over. Doubtful few persons today could meet the demands of that age. Believe me, for all I may grouse about her, there is a certain respect for the individual. Heck, when I'm eighty-odd years old,  I hope somebody remembers me for my eccentric/unique mannerisms.
   My evening meal comprised chocolate-dipped strawberries and a glass of wine and I have a tentative breakfast date with a couple ladies. Our plan is to meet on the patio for banana bread and coffee. It will be five o'clock somewhere, so I may just show up with wine and cheese, since I don't make coffee anymore. I still drink it, just don't make it. Guess I may as well wrap this up.

Ya wanna start somethin'?
19 June
   Here where I am, it has started out sunny, under cloud-skudded skies. Sorry, my meteorological terminology leaves something to be desired. Anyway, will catch you up on last few days.
   Thursday, newly repaved driveway at apartment complex was open. On my way out to an appointment, told office manager I was tempted to ask for a ride to my car. Commenting on the humidity, she asked if I needed help. Told her I would call upon arrival at dental office. Concluding business there, I proceeded to grocery store, where I spent just shy of a hundred dollars. As has been mentioned on numerous occasions, I loathe shopping, but there are times it is necessary. So, got home with my purchases, schlepped them in and put them away, then had to take a little siesta so I would be ready for Tecumseh Senior Center Social Club meeting at local American Legion post. It was a hot day and I ended up drinking two beers, instead of just one. That evening, had bingo at Orchard Terrace; won some strawberries - destined for a meeting with chocolate and wine - and individual cup of macaroni and cheese, which I gave to neighbor's college-age granddaughter.
   Friday morning, went to breakfast with a friend but kept it light, as I already had a previously scheduled luncheon date. While there, saw a woman whose face was familiar from youth. Called her by her family name and she said "I know you;  you're Jo Ann Baugh." Couple hours later, met a high school friend at Embers. We had a lot to catch up on, not having seen each other for a couple months: another two-beer outing. Fridays afternoons are usually filled with Wii bowling and cards and this was no exception. Coming back to my room that evening, found message on answer machine: Dad's weekend was clear. Returned his call, saying I'd be over Saturday afternoon.
   Saturday morning, loaded recyclables into car, then sat on patio with friends for a while. [I had mentioned in last letter our impromptu breakfast plans.] Then it was time to go into town for Third Saturday alumni lunch. Only two of us showed up. Waited thirty minutes, then went our separate ways. Spent a pleasant couple hours with Dad, who thanked me for Fathers Day letter that had arrived with that day's mail. Cedar Waxwing with which I had illustrated envelope had been recognized. Was asked to come out again on Sunday.
   Rest of Saturday was looking pretty lazy, so I texted a couple neighbors to see if they had anything going on. One asked if I wanted to see a movie. We invited a couple others, but it was so last-minute, didn't get any takers. We went and had a great time. It was still daylight when we got out, so we went cruising. Checked out location of winery of which we'd heard. Evening was still fairly young when we returned to apartment complex and we decided to pool our resources and have wine, fruit, and cheese on the patio. Texted couple neighbors and they joined us for a little soiree. We passed a pleasant couple hours among solar lights and fireflies, laughing and talking. We dispersed minutes before caretaker was scheduled to make evening rounds. Coming to our apartments, my neighbor said she was glad I had "started something" which got us out of the house a while. I bade her goodnight.
   That brings us to Sunday. Started this while waiting til time to go out to Dad's. Got invited to breakfast and you know how much I love breakfast, so naturally I went. One of Dad's "granddogs" was visiting when I got there. We humans enjoyed some freshly baked cake, the texture of which was enhanced by caramelized sugar. Crumbs from Corning ware bake dish were brushed onto deck for birds. Who doesn't like cake?
   Obviously several hours have lapsed since I started but that's an advantage of letters - they can be written and read at one's leisure. Just realized I left some word puzzles at Dad's but they'll keep. I have some correspondence which needs my attention; nothing urgent, so will reply in due course. Guess that's 'all the news that's fit to print.' (Would the media were so conscientious about what constitutes "news.")

Nuts about poultry
30 June
   It has been a while since last I wrote, so let me tell you what's been going on in my life. Will arbitrarily start with Tuesday, because going back beyond that might either strain my short-term memory, or qualify as ancient history - take your pick. Anyway, that was day Tecumseh Senior Center Wii bowlers went to Adrian Senior Center to defend our championship. We have now held the trophy for an unprecedented four months. Afterward, four of us had lunch together.
   That afternoon was the quarterly birthday party at Orchard Terrace, but was still so full from lunch, just had a scoop of ice cream and a little coffee. Come suppertime, thought about going to soup kitchen, but knew there was soup in my freezer. Decisions, decisions. My dilemma was solved by a friend inviting me out.
   Wednesday, didn't have time to cook oatmeal, so had an ounce or two of cashew butter before leaving to catch the bus. This was the day of my long-awaited trip to Turkeyville, which lies off U.S. 127 a bit, in Marshall, Michigan. Went to Cornwell's Professional Dinner Theatre to see their production of Nana's Naughty Knickers, in which an octogenarian is running an illegal boutique out of her apartment. Laughed so hard I nearly had a stitch in my side. The outing included a buffet-style turkey dinner. Am planning to go back in November to see Christmas with the In-Laws. This is very affordable entertainment: dinner and a show, plus transportation for under sixty-five dollars. Ollie is trying to get up a trip to Genetti's Hole-in-the-Wall Dinner Theater for August 18, 2016. The play that day will be an interactive murder mystery titled Murder on the 13th Floor and menu offers baked chicken, Italian sausage, antipasto salad, and more, including cannoli for dessert. If you live in Lenawee County, Michigan and are interested in either of these trips, please call 517-423-2177.
   Got home before seven o'clock, so it was still light. A few of us had thought it would be a good night for sitting out on the patio. Don't know what the others opted for but when I got back to apartment, just kicked off shoes, exchanged jeans for capris, and sat in recliner with my feet up. Checked answer machine, learning there was a package for me in the office: it'll keep. Still full from lunch; thought a rice cake with peanut butter might suffice. An hour later, worked up enough ambition to make a couple chicken tacos and pour a glass of wine.
   Thursday, reported to office to collect package, which turned out to be a Dayton Dragons baseball cap. Thanks, Rosanne. (Had told her my Chinese zodiac sign is Dragon.) Saw maintenance man, who asked if I had been home and in bed by nine, tsk-tsking when I said no. To ease his mind about seniors out after dark, assured him I was indeed home by nine, just not in bed.
   That brings us to now. You know how I like to write and you have always expressed an interest in my antics and adventures, so voila!
   If I wrap this up now, can still make the afternoon mail, so I shall. Might get a letter out to Brother too, as well as Naomi in Texas.
Hasta luego, Jo Ann
***
(June 2019)
   Three years can make quite a difference: "Hoover Queen," while still with us, no longer does her own vacuuming, nor is she punctilious about what time she starts her laundry, though she still does her own. Bless her heart, she has great difficulty recalling what day it is. Thank goodness, she has an agreeable nature. One thing she does not have, God love her, is a filter: upon hearing one resident say she was going to re-dye her hair, HQ said, "Good; because it's too red." 
   There have been some personnel changes and, when dealing with a senior population, turnover in residents is to be expected.
   I haven't participated in Wii bowling for over a year, nor am I asked to join card games with the "in crowd."
   And I no longer drink coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment